My Favourite Tipples from researcher to aviator
Wednesday, 4th October 2017
My Favourite Tipples are shared by Fiona Fogden, an information manager in a global law firm. She shares her go-to resources in areas from shipping to cross-border legal queries.
I have been working in a law firm for nearly three years now, and just like when I first started at this particular firm, our shipping department are our most prolific customers. After that, doing background checks on companies keeps us very busy.
These are the products I like to use in my role:
- Lloyd's List Intelligence: We can interrogate ship movements in specific time frames and specific locations. It's amazing how nerdy you can get about vessels!
- Companies House: Great for checking businesses and individuals, often used alongside other services like Legalinx's or CRO's Winding-Up Court service that will send you a report on any pending winding-up orders against a company for a modest fee.
- Getting the Deal Through: This can be fantastic for cross-border work to save time compiling laws for multiple jurisdictions, but only if it has the right combination of countries and questions that answer your query.
- BIALL-Wiki: An excellent mine of information! Even though I like to think I have been working in law libraries for over 20 years and know a fair bit, I am learning all the time.
- SkyDemon: In my life outside libraries, I like to fly and have just regained my pilot's licence and fly out of Biggin Hill when the weather allows. I use tools like SkyDemon to plan my flight and check for Notices to Airmen (Notams) and the Met Office briefing service for General Aviators to check on the weather (free registration required).
An article in Jinfo which I found particularly interesting:
Contribute your "My Favourite Tipples"
Would you like to share your "My Favourite Tipples" with the Jinfo audience? For contributor guidelines email email@example.com or visit the Publish with Jinfo page.
About this item
Related Blog items:
Related Subscription Articles: